- October 1, 2023
As part of Managementors’ on-going drive in 2023 to raise money for The Royal Marsden Cancer Charity, a group of our consultants recently completed a challenge to walk the distance between the three capitals of the United Kingdom, within the month of August. The focus of the challenge was to maintain healthier levels of activity, through walking an average distance of at least 16 miles per day as a collective team, whilst raising vital funds for an incredible cause.
The planned route took the team from the Cancer Treatment Centre in Edinburgh, down to the Velindre Cancer Centre in Cardiff – 359 miles – onto The Royal Marsden Hospital in London – 150 miles – bringing the total target distance to a minimum of 509 miles! By contributing regularly to their team Strava Challenge, they were able to see and share their progress from their various fitness trackers and health apps.
The team all had their different ways of approaching the challenge and building up their miles:
- David Beggs – one of our Practice Directors – was training for a half marathon and was able to build the challenge into his plan combined with a particularly active walking holiday!
- Emma Sacchi – one of our Programme Directors – felt the challenge gave her the extra push to get outside and go running whilst walking the distance to client sites and Farringdon station to gain the extra healthy activity
- James Gilbert – one of our Project Managers – swapped public transport for walking, and took extra evening walks to stay more active
- Dan Nicholson – one of our Senior Consultants – made the mile with extended dog walks through National Trust parks and beaches, walking to football and chose walking rather than public transport whilst on holiday in France
- Matt McCardle – one of our Consultants – would make special efforts to go for runs whilst travelling for work
- Dan Beeston – another one of our consultants – found the challenge a great opportunity to rediscover a hobby in fitness and enjoyed jogging to explore new places
The challenge was nicely rounded off by walking as a team across central London from the Strand to The Royal Marsden Hospital which brought the team together for a fun final stint and reminded them of the purpose and importance of their steps.
They were able to collectively smash through the challenge target miles and even had a few to spare in uploads that missed the Strava midnight cut-off!
Thank you to all those that have donated to this amazing challenge so far, it’s very much appreciated. If you’d like to contribute, there’s still time to donate!