With significant planned government investment and transformational projects like HS2 underway, this sector is experiencing healthy growth. However, in a post Covid world where spend is especially scrutinised and value for money is sacrosanct, carefully managing risk as well as delivering on time and to budget has never been more important.
Whilst driving productivity has always been high on the agenda, we’ve increasingly seen clients are grappling with collaboration. Often discussed but rarely effectively implemented, it can be a game changer for expediting delivery and guaranteeing quality.
The construction industry has always faced significant challenges in delivering projects on time and within budget. With most of the risk borne by contractors, the cost to deliver is significantly increasing due to rising costs in materials and labour, negatively impacting margins.
Pre-construction issues are also a common cause of delays and increased cost, as teams implement works around on site mid-programme. These issues, together with a lack of effective forecasting and project controls, mean surprises can occur late in the programme and lead to delays in completion increasing pre-lim costs and the risk of LAD’s.
The nuclear sector is diverse and ranges from building new power plants, to decommissioning old ones and into defence. Our experience in Nuclear covers all three and we see similar challenges which revolve around the effective management of risk and complexity.
Often we see construction and engineering teams who struggle to meet SQEP requirements and very quickly find themselves on the back foot facing mounting pressure to meet increasingly unrealistic delivery milestones.
How can we help?
Who we work with:
- Project Managers
- Site Agents & Package Managers
- Quantity Surveyors
- Pre-Construction Managers
- Commercial Functions
- Design Engineers
- Senior Managers
- Blue-Collar Workforces
What we do:
- Establish true collaboration between clients and partners
- Enhance planning techniques to create joined up, meaningful programmes to control against
- Implement effective project controls, forecasting and true plan vs actual project performance visibility
- Coach managers to reduce the amount of non-value adding time in their day
- Challenge the meeting and governance structures to prevent endless unfocused meetings killing progress
- Support commercial functions to aid processing and decision making
- Review roles and responsibilities to identify non value added activities and blurred lines of responsibility
- Improve productivity through establishing the desire behaviours to enable delivery on time and to budget
What we have achieved:
- Transformed toxic client, design and delivery partner relationships to significantly enhance delivery
- Created effective and meaningful governance structures
- Enhanced CPI and SPI performance to bring forward delivery milestones
- Redefined overly complex reporting suites to enable daily focus on the right things to drive progress
- Enabled more collaborative and meaningful planning techniques to ensure there is one version of the truth
Keys to a Successful Collaborative Partnership
Our work within the sector
“Managementors demonstrated that by looking at things through a different lens, and by engaging with the workforce from the start, we have been able to further refine our solution, increase manufacturing capacity, and improve productivity & effectiveness of our on-site operations. The engagement gave us the scope to do more for our existing clients and customers with the same resource and has presented the senior management team with robust management information to make the right strategic decisions.”
“Having Managementors guide us through this process has reinvigorated our management team. We know A-one+ is really pleased and seeing the value in it, and we’re confident that we now have the ability to help the rest of our supply chain create better internal processes that ultimately deliver better results for our clients.”
“The Managementors team built up a really good rapport with the Highways England team. I certainly enjoyed working with Managementors and they’ve left us with some key tools that can really make a difference.”
“Managementors did an excellent job – the integration is far stronger than before. When Managementors stepped back, the improved behaviours remained. Where we take this contract to next is completely founded upon a collaborative approach, which wasn’t quite there before.”
“Managementors turbo charged our operations and got the contract going in an incredibly short period of time, which made a real difference. Where everything was a bit of a battle before, we’ve changed people’s mind sets, we’ve changed people’s attitudes – we’ve changed people. We’ve now got everyone working together, and when everyone works together, the outcomes deliver themselves.”
“I will be honest I was very sceptical at first but what Managementors have done is nothing short of a miracle.”
“With the help of Managementors, we now actively listen and understand one another’s perspective better than ever before. It’s a great achievement to be seen as an equal and valued partner to Highways England.”